WARNING: SPOILERS AHOY
Seriously, do not freaking read this if you plan on seeing the movie. There's a lot to spoil too. But here are a few thoughts:
- Michael Fassbender almost steals the show as David. I loved his cold, calculated nature. When Shaw is demanding that he remove the "fetus" inside her, and she crumples over in pain, he has this utter sterility when he says "It must be very painful". I also liked the line when he's talking to Holloway, right before he poisons him... something like, "Why do did your kind create me?" "I don't know... because we could?" "Would you be disappointed if your creators said the same?"
- Charlize Theron was awesome as Vickers. I like that she starts out as a total ice queen, and while she never really becomes a "good" character, it becomes clear that she has her own struggles and that her motivations are more complex than we initially assume. A little bummed she's out of the running for any sequels.
- I loved the design of the new aliens. Eerily human, almost like what we might imagine our own species evolving into in a few million years. And their seemingly malicious nature fits very well with the idea that a species that would engineer the Xenomorphs probably wouldn't be the benevolent creators we might imagine a highly developed alien race to be.
- I like that the movie doesn't insult its audience with too much exposition. The closest to that came when the Captain was telling Shaw that the installation was "an installation... probably military," but it wasn't out of place. We still don't know much of anything about the alien's motivations for creating human life or its experiments with biological weapons
- It's the most visually amazing movie I've ever seen. The Avengers looks amazing too, but it's still a big cartoon. Prometheus looks real. There's nothing that jumps out as an obvious effect, and most of the technology seems plausible. Although I always have to chuckle at the idea that one of the first things we apparently figure out is artificial gravity... cramming the attractive energy of a whole planet into a spaceship.
- I love the snake-like aliens that attacked the engineers. Brutal. And it looked like the Xenomorphs weren't the first bioweapon to bleed acid.
- Noopi Rapace is fantastic. She's a perfect successor to Sigourney Weaver. The scene in the surgery pod.... damn.